Saturday, January 21, 2012

Lemonade Syrup


Because we live a charmed life in northern California, people are always giving us too much fresh, organic produce. This is a real problem you guys, stop laughing.


Liz has a coworker who lives in a fantasy cartoon citrus grove, and so she just came home from work one day with a big bag of lemons. What am I going to do with all these fresh juicy lemons? There are too many to eat before they start to go bad.

Okay, well, I recall some traditional advice about this exact scenario, you know?


First, cut up all your lemons, I had ten of them.


I juiced them all on the totally boss citrus-juicer attachment on the MiniPrep, which is grossly underutilized in my day-to-day existence.


After extracting two whole workbowlsful, I ran the juice through a strainer and set in on the stove to simmer in a saucepan.

I threw open the cupboards to examine the sugar situation. A had a little white sugar, a little brown sugar, and a little honey. For about four cups of lemon juice, I ended up with about a cup and a half, total, of sugary goodness. I felt like basically any combination was going to produce some rad lemonade, so I just sort of followed my heart.

Shh! Fingers to lips: I also tipped in a half-jigger of vodka when it was really rolling and boiling, and let it go for a couple minutes.


This fills up a quart jar with just enough left over in the pan for you to reward yourself right away for your hard work.

We've been drinking lemonade all week. Tip about a quarter-cup into about a half-liter of water. Maybe some ice cubes, maybe a little more vodka, if you're ready for a summery evening.

No comments:

Post a Comment