Thursday, December 8, 2011

Rampicante Squash Burritos



So we've been able to reap the bounty of my parents' nearby winter garden:



Behold, a king's ransom in hardy squashes!

The long skinny crazy-looking one is some techy heirloom nonsense my parents are into called a zucchetta rampicante, or perhaps a tromboncino.

It is a magical squash, that you harvest all the way from early summer to winter. It starts out as a summer squash, something like a supermarket zucchini, and just transforms into a legit winter squash with notes of butternut and delicata.



Like all squashes that enter my kitchen, it was destined to end up cubed and roasted. I cut off the necks and the bulb, peeled, seeded, diced, and then tossed it in a bowl with a splash of olive oil and some cracked pepper and coarse salt.



I like to roast vegetables at about 450 degrees, and these took about 35-45 minutes, with a couple of cursory shakes every 15 or so minutes.



To fill up my burritos, I also prepped some black beans in the pressure cooker and sliced up some green cabbage.



A little splash of tofu crema and some red pepper sauce, and these turned out perfectly.

No comments:

Post a Comment