Sunday, June 5, 2011

Quiet Week

I know I haven't really been posting a lot on the weight loss front.  That's because there hasn't been a lot to post about.  I had a slight gain when we got back from Sioux Falls, but it was an expected gain.  I didn't track at all, was eating meals prepared by others or in restaurants for 6 days, attending frequent, wedding related celebrations with the associated food and drinks, and sitting in a car for 4 of those 6 days.  So not really conducive to weight loss.  I probably could have tracked, or focused more on activity, but honestly, kind of needed a break.

But now it's back to the grind.  I've had my fun, I need to get back on track.  Matt and I have about a month before we move cross country to California.  I know that's going to be a major disruption in my life.  I don't want to know how long we'll have to go without access to a full kitchen or our kitchen equipment.  Even if all goes according to plan, July is going to be a stress-filled month.  And based on some of the interactions I've had with the people handling my move, assuming that all will go according to plan is quite optimistic.

So my goal for June is to really ingrain some of the healthy habits that will carry me through times of stress.  Those include:

1. Having healthy snacks on hand for when I get hungry
2. Watching my portions - even if I can't control what's put in front of me, I can control how much of it I eat
3. Finding healthier outlets for my stress than junk food
4. Keeping activity a part of my daily routine.  Even if I can't get to the gym or take 60 minutes to do Wii Fit, I can at least go for a 20 minute walk on my lunch break, or take the stairs instead of the elevator

I know these aren't concrete goals, they can't be measured.  The TA that taught my "Fitness for Life" lab in college would be disappointed.  But if I focus on them, and really ingrain them in my lifestyle this month, when I'm more or less in control, when I feel things spiraling out of control next month, I will have them to fall back on.

Here's an example of how I put goals 2 and 4 into practice on Friday.  Matt, a friend, and I met up at Truckeroo, a Food Truck festival near my office.  Matt and I both got sandwiches from El Floridano.  If you're in DC and haven't tried them, find out when they'll be near you.  For $7 a sandwich, you won't regret it!  They have great vegan options as well as normal pulled pork sandwiches.  If you get the tempeh, it's not a bad meal, points wise.  I picked El Floridano because, unlike some of the other options, I felt like they had reasonable portion sizes.  After sandwiches, I had a green tea popcicle from Pleasant Pops.  Matt had the Strawberry Rhubarb.  Overall, it was a high points dinner, but I had planned for it, and I definitely don't feel like I went overboard.

After dinner, we all walked down to the new Yards park in Navy Yards for some live music.

Matt and I at the Yards


 The Electric Slide


The Anacostia Waterfront at night


The Yards Park

An evening of free music, just enough good food to feel good about it, and walking.  I felt in control, I had fun, and I wasn't obsessing about my weight loss journey.  It felt great!

No comments:

Post a Comment